Today’s hospitals must go for good quality hospital information management system (HIMS) which should not only have good administrative / back office modules but also clinical modules and electronic medical records. Few highlights which explain value that a good hospital information management system adds to a hospital:
- Patient data captured at time of registration helps in avoiding repetitive work for now and for future as patients details are saved against his/ her hospital ID. This helps in reduction of error, saves time and thereby saves manpower.
- Introduction of barcode for sample collection not only helps in “ zero error’ but also helps in improved TAT for report processing if blood sample processing machine ( say biochemistry analyzer) is interfaced with HIMS.
- Entire billing process is simple, without error and quick if it is through HIMS. Imagine if we have to do this manually, it will be time taking and person dependent. This is for sure that HIMS help in reduction of error, it is fast and helps in reduction of manpower.
- We get high quality Management Reports (MIS) which helps us to take decisions based on data.
- Now with predictive analytics, we have tools available to foresee future course of cost / volume / business etc and take right interventions to improve outcome. Entire data analytics will need quality data through our HIMS.
Dr Vikram Singh Raghuvanshi is leading authority in area of Strategy & hospital operations. He has planned, designed and operated over 50 hospitals in India. He is also visiting faculty @ leading management Institutions.